We already know that San Francisco is the center of the universe for social media, but I had no idea just how much so. Here’s a short list of companies based in that part of the world (you may have heard of a couple of them):
- Facebook (Palo Alto) – Facebook, FriendFeed
- LinkedIn (Mountain View)
- Google (Mountain View) – Buzz, Wave, Blogger, FeedBurner, Google Connect
- Yahoo! (Sunnyvale) – Flickr, Meme
- Automattic* – WordPress.com, PollDaddy, IntenseDebate, Gravatar, Akismet
- eBay (San Jose) – StumbleUpon
- Ning (Palo Alto)
- Plaxo (Mountain View)
* Automattic claims to be from everywhere, but I included them on this list because a large number of their people are based in the San Francisco area.
New York has a few companies that have made an impact in the business – Vimeo, Tumblr, Meetup.com, and Foursquare to name a few.
For science fiction geeks, San Francisco is also the headquarters for both Skynet (Terminator), and Star Fleet Academy (Star Trek).
Which social media companies did I miss? Add to the comments.