For Twitter, Tweetie 2 was good, TweetDeck was better, and HootSuite was even better than that. But I belatedly discovered Echofon, and I’m in love!
Quite simply, it contains every single feature I’ve been looking for in a Twitter iPhone app (and then some):
- It has seamless bit.ly and Flickr API integration. I’ve seen some with Flickr, and some with bit.ly, but this is the first I’ve found with both.
- Very seamless integration of multiple accounts. You can even change the background colour, so you can keep track of what account you are in.
- You can disable auto-load of your home feed (focusing instead of your DMs, mentions and saved searches).
- It has seamless integration of the old style and new style retweet. They call the old style Retweet With Comment.
- It has a very cool method of auto-completing hashtags and mentions.
- It’s intuitive and user-friendly.
- I have yet to crash it.
It’s the first app I’ve used on iPhone where I haven’t complained out loud in frustration because of some minor detail.
HootSuite is still, hands down, my favourite Twitter client on my computer. It’s entirely web-based, and works great. And their iPhone app is certainly very good, but it’s moved into a clear second place based on my geekly criteria.